Sciatica is the term referred to the pain that one experiences in the Sciatic nerve, which is located in the lower part of the body. The sciatic nerve originates from the lower back, travels along the buttocks to the back of the thigh, calf of the legs, up to the feet. It is the largest nerve in the body. Sciatica pain is often confused with lower back pain as the location and condition of both the pain symptoms are almost the same.
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is pinched or compressed by some or the activity or movement of the body. The treatment of sciatica depends upon the cause of the severity of the pain. Lower back pain has different and a lot of common causes, but sciatica has some limited causes, as the pain is only related to the nerve‘s discomfort or issue.
Sciatica is a serious problem if it is ignored or taken lightly for a long time as in future if it gets worse, it makes one immobile and also a lack of movement. When one has sciatica, they have pain, numbness, weakness and burning or tingling sensation. It usually occurs on one side of the body. For sciatica pain treatment, a customized, controlled and progressive exercise program should be made that hits the underlying cause of sciatic nerve pain. For determining or diagnosing the sciatic pain, a proper and thorough physical and medical examination is being done by the experts and a case history is being made and heard. The tests that are performed to determine the cause are:
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging).
- CT scan (of the spine).
- Blood tests.
- Ultrasound (to know the nerve positions and conditions). Etc.
The cause of Sciatica Nerve Pain includes the following:
- Ruptured intervertebral disc.
- Injury or pressure on the pelvic region such pelvic fracture.
- Spine narrowing as it puts pressure on the nerve, also known as spinal stenosis.
- Pinched nerve or compressed nerve. Etc.
Back solutions clinic has by far been the most effective, efficient in treating the sciatica nerve pain. The treatment includes a set of things. But one should be aware of the immediate steps to be taken once sciatica is discovered. The following are the steps to be kept in mind:
- Pain reliever drugs – There are various anti-inflammatory, pain reliever drugs and medicines available to provide immediate pain relief like aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen, also acetaminophen.
- Comfortable body posture – Sciatica pain sufferers should avoid sitting for long as it might put pressure on the sciatic nerve. Standing for long is also not recommended as it is not good for the spine. So, while sleeping or lying, putting a pillow below your hips is the best recommended for a comfortable posture. Any position that gives you pain relief is the ideal posture for the body, but not be in one position for too long.
- Ice and heat therapy – Ice and heat therapy both provide pain relief. Ice reduces inflammation and numbs pain, whereas heat increases blood flow and provides essential nutrients to give pain relief and removes waste toxins out of the body.
- Stretching and core strengthening exercises.
- Chiropractic Care – If sciatica is caused by herniated disc than a chiropractic care is recommended to do realignment of the spine by manual adjustments.