Stress and insomnia are two very common problems experienced by millions of people every single day. Oftentimes, these problems can have debilitating effects on people’s lives. Fortunately, there are many ways by which you can get rid of both stress and insomnia, and you can find our list of the top 10 best suggestions here.
Eliminate Stress and Insomnia for Good
1. Exercise regularly. Most people who suffer from chronic stress have one thing in common — the lack of proper exercise in their daily schedules. A 20-minute walk 3-5 times a week should be more than enough to burn off your excess stress hormones and allow you to sleep more peacefully during the night.
2. Reserve the bedroom for sleep. Avoid watching television in bed and by all means leave all your work as you enter the door.
3. Relax your muscles. If you frequently have trouble getting to sleep, you can try this age-old technique. Lie flat on your back in bed and gradually relax each muscle in your body, starting from the tips of your toes up to the top of your head. Chances are you’ll be falling asleep as soon as you finish.
4. Visualize yourself in a relaxing place. Empty your mind of all stressful events during the day and imagine yourself falling asleep. Soon enough, you will already be dozing off in your bed.
5. Create a transition period. Going straight to bed after a stressful day can be difficult so you should give yourself time to shift gears. You can soak in the bath for half an hour or just listen to relaxing music.
6. Have a bedtime routine. Every night, do the same series of activities before going to bed. This will train your body and let it know that you are about to sign off, and eventually trigger the shutdown of your stress hormones.
7. Tone down your bedroom lighting. Bright lighting will keep your mind awake while low lights will make your body produce melatonin that helps you fall asleep.
8. Practice meditation. Getting in touch with your spirituality is one of the best ways to relax both your mind and your body. It will also get rid of the stress and help you sleep better.
9. Listen to relaxing music. Choose melodies that are soft and flowing like light jazz or classical music.
10. Drink milk. Not only does milk help strengthen your bones but it also contains tryptophan, a substance that induces sleep.
After trying at least one of these suggestions, we are pretty sure that you will be able to get rid of all your stress and insomnia in no time at all. For more tips on how to reduce insomnia and stress, be sure to read this article.